These were experiments I did looking at creating a graphic and type only title for my magazine spreads.
This was the final front of the book cover I went for, I decided against the slightly coloured versions as they didn’t match the stark timelessness of the books imagery but gave more of an image of urban decay. The final touches i gave were the authors name and the tag line. I treated both of these with lighting effects to define them so as to carry on the image of light bursting forth.
(for more info see earlier posts)
The back cover for my book i wanted to simply show a shard of the clock that would be obvious enough to hint at what it was a shard of. For this i decided that i would have a chunk of the clock face, the above show some of the experiments i did with this, and again the shard it’s self is made from vectors with final touches being made in photoshop.
For this project we were instructed to create a book cover for a book of our choice with out using any photos or pictures. The book i chose was Terry Pratchett’s ‘Thief of Time’ chose as just being one of my favorite and most recently read books. The main thing i took from the book was of the image of a glass clock cracking, that runs throughout the book. So I looked at treating my text to give this impression of cracking and shattering, then i looked at embellishing the bordering area of the cover with shards of glass. The shards themselves i don’t count as images as they have all been made from scratch as vectors in illustrator then treated in photo shop. This designing in vectors was something i wouldn’t of been capable of until the previous project.
This was the final logo design I went for. It show the most balanced combination of the ideas I had experimented with. The outer shield shows the formalness of the logo’s subject but the hand cuffs and gun whilst both being pieces of police equipment show connotations of force. Finally to tie this to China I have used the colours of the flag, but to tie brutality particularly to the police the stars of the flag have been made into the chains of the cuffs and the largest of the stars doubles as explosion from the gun shot.
This was also the first project we were given with a focus on working with illustrator and vectors.
For this project every one was given a combination of two randomly selected words, one word being a job and the other making it more specific. In my case I was Given Chinese Police and the above gallery shows some of my experiments. This project I initially found awkward; as unlike many of the other combinations mine was a very definite job which currently had a logo. So the angle I took in the end was to create something official looking (due to the nature of the job) but place objects inside it that hint at the violent and controlling nature of the government in china.